History of the Carrum Football Club and Carrum Patterson Lakes Football Club
Football has been reported to be played in Carrum since as early as 1902. Between 1902 and 1908 it has been well reported that a 'Carrum Football Club' played pre-season matches against the likes of Frankston FC and Mornington FC but never competed in an organised competition.
A news article from the Mornington Standard in 1909 reports the formation of the 'Carrum Football Club' with R. W. Jones elected as President and M. McCauley and A. Rigby as Vice-Presidents. Despite forming a club in 1909 and playing one off matches here and there they would not compete in regular competition until 1911.
At that point Carrum Football club had a proud history from 1911 until folding in 1996.
Federal FA / Peninsula FA / Peninsula District FA
Carrum Football Club first competed in the Federal Football Association as Carrum - Chelsea Football Club in 1911, competing against Moorabbin, Cheltenham and Victoria Brewery. In 1912 the club did not compete but would return in 1913 and 1914 again amalgamated as Carrum-Chelsea. In 1914, Carrum would finish 5th on the ladder at the end of what would be their last season until after WW1.
Final 1914 Ladder
2. Cheltenham (Same club currently in the SFL Div 1)
3. Caulfield District
4. Middle Brighton
6. Black Rock (Same club currently in the SFL Div 3)
7. Mentone (Merged with St Bedes and currently playing as St Bedes/Mentone Tigers in the VAFA)
8. Moorabbin Park
9. Heatherton (Same club currently in the SFL Div 1)
In 1919 following WW1 Chelsea broke away from the Carrum Football Club and formed their own 'Chelsea Football Club'. Carrum Football Club now competed as a stand alone club in the Federal Football Association, Carrum would play in the Federal FA on and off for the next 40 years.
Carrum played a short stint between 1919 and 1921 in the Mornington Peninsula Football Association. It was during this time that Carrum won their first Senior Premiership in 1921, they then returned to the Federal FA the next year. In 1928 the club underwent some financial hardship and disbanded until 1932. They reformed and joined the Peninsula District Football Association where they won their second premiership in 1932 in their return season. In 1933, Carrum came runners up to Rosebud and at the end of the 1933 season the Peninsula District FA merged with the Peninsula FA to form the Mornington Peninsula Football League.
Mornington Peninsula FL / Mornington Peninsula Nepean FL
In 1936 the club disbanded again and the players joined neighbouring clubs, particularly Seaford. Due to constant pressure from the old Carrum players and limited players in both Seaford and Carrum towns, they decided to combine and entered the Mornington Peninsula Football League as Seaford/Carrum Football Club. The combined Seaford/Carrum side would compete together until 1940. During those 4 season the team lost 51 games and only won 2.
In 1941 Carrum went stand alone again competing in a social league but achieving little success. Carrum would soon return to the MPFL and shortly after won the MPFL B Grade Premiership in 1948 and again in 1955. Following this Carrum entered a rebuilding stage and yielded little success until 1959 when great efforts were made to match the strength of sides such as Hastings, Frankston and Crib Point. It paid off with the 1959 premiership, getting over Hastings by just 1 point.
Carrum Lions would then stay in the MPFL all the way through until 1988 when the Mornington Peninsula Football League merged with the Nepean Football League to form the MPNFL that we know today. The MPNFL was where Carrum won their final flag as the MPNFL 2nd Division Premiers in 1994 (the equivalent to the Nepean Football League today).
1911 - RIGBY'S LAND - Where Stanley St now is
1913-1914 - FORSYTH'S PROPERTY - Bottom end of Breeze St
1921 - PRIESTLEY'S PADDOCK - McLeod Rd, Carrum
1922-1954 - KEAST PARK - Nepean Hwy, Carrum where the car park to the Carrum Bowls Club now stands
1955 - Present - ROY DORE RESERVE (GRAHAM ROAD RESERVE)
The Graham Road Reserve was renamed the Roy Dore Reserve in 1985 in honor of long time Carrum CFA Captain and Carrum FC President, Player and Coach Roy Dore.